The building known today as the Altemberger House, after the name of its first proprietor, was purchased in 1545 by the Magistrate of the city, becoming the location of the Town Hall for 400 years (until 1948).
It comprises 10 architectural units, to which a defensive tower was added, conjointly structuring one of the most impressive ensembles of civic Gothic architecture in Romania and even in the South Eastern Europe.
The oldest part of the architectural set is the dwelling tower, its construction being initiated in the late 13th century.
As the legendary founder of the city was called Hermann, the visitors are welcomed in the Museumís courtyard by several decorative figures named Hermanns, illustrating the late 17th c. townsman typologies: the healer, the knight, the banker, the butcher, the brewer (tavern keeper), the infantryman, the student, the mayor and the minstrel.
In the back courtyard, known as Martyrsí Garden, there are several works of figurative sculpture as the four consoles of the loggia, representing male portraits, elegantly and minutely executed.
They decorate a space presenting elements of a Renaissance influence.