Brukenthal National Museum
. . . . . . .
ro | de
SEARCH  
.
SIBIU/HERMANNSTADT, ROMANIA
.
.
European Art Gallery The Brukenthal Library Romanian Art Gallery Museum of Contemporary Art Museum of History Museum of Natural History Museum of Pharmacy Museum of Hunting Fresco Hall Restoration-Conservation
Laboratory
Shops
.
.

HISTORY

. The Altemberger House:
The Museum of History
. Main Exhibition
. Roman Lapidarium
. Medieval Lapidarium
. Arms and Armors
. The Firearms Hall
. The Movement for National Emacipation in Southern Transylvania
. The Emergence of Human Settlements in Southern Transylvania
. The Glasswork in Transylvania
. The Guilds of Sibiu
. The Magistrate of Sibiu
. Coins and Medals
. Treasury
. THE MUSEUM OF HISTORY,
The Altemberger House
Address:
Str. Mitropoliei, Nr. 2
Tel: (+40) 269 218143
.
 
.
. .

THE MUSEUM OF HISTORY, The Altemberger House

SECTION: THE GUILDS OF SIBIU

.


The history of the urban development of the city of Sibiu is closely related with the emergence and the flowering of guilds. The guilds of Sibiu were similar in organisation and functions to the guilds of other German-Saxon cities of Transylvania and Central Europe. Their number increased in time from 19 in 1376, 26 in 1719, 34 in 1724 to 40 in 1780 The Museum’s collections comprise more than 2000 items related with guilds and journeymen brotherhoods, dating from 14th-19th centuries.
The objects on display are meant to evince the inner structure of guilds and journeymen brotherhoods and the output of the main guilds’ production. They were grouped as: objects serving for the individualisation and representation, reflecting the organisation and guild life (signs, sigils, chests, voting urns and objects presenting the mark of the guild) and products of great diversity, often displaying artistry. The presentation observes the chronological criteria and takes into account the categories of rough materials used in manufacturing.

 
.      
.

PICTURES FROM GALLERY (click to open)

  click to open click to open click to open click to open click to open click to open
. . . .
.